20080904

Nostalgia for Beach III



I subscribe to artist Martha Marshall's blog, An Artist's Journal. In yesterday's blog, she asked other artists to comment on whether they'd produced an artwork to which they were particularly attached, and whether they could part with it. I posted the comment below, about my painting Beach III:

"Excellent post.
In 1996, I was working at Gallerie DeBautte in New Orleans’ Warehouse District as Sales Associate and Artist in Residence. I’d just come back from sailing in the Caribbean (where I now live), and was blown away by the ethereal beauty. After having struggled with subject matter and theme, I’d finally found my direction.
Back in the gallery/studio, I started a painting and stuggled with it immediately. In frustration, I wiped off the wet oil paint and took a break. Later, looking at the mess, I thought, what if I turned it sideways? Upside down? Added this and that? I applied more paint, wiped it around a bit, and…there! It was one of the best pieces I’ve ever done and it even won an award. I still have the piece, which is for sale at a local day spa. But I’m not pushing to get it sold. I truly love that painting. It represents so much."

2 comments:

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal

Stephanie said...

Hello Anastacio,
Thank you! I just started the blog in July, so I'm new at this. Please check back often; I will be posting frequently.
All the best,
Stephanie