20081016

Hurricane Omar Aftermath



Photos of our dock and condominiums the morning after Omar.

The eyewall of Category 3 Hurricane Omar missed the islands, as it veered further east before it reached our island, Tortola.

We are on the south-facing side of the island, which was protected from the worst winds, due to the hurricane's direction as it approached us from the west.

Leaves and plant debris are scattered through the yard, and my studio has a new leak in the window frame. That is the only damage I've found so far. My friend Kim walked along a north-facing beach this morning, and said the water was brown and the beach was scattered with debris. Not surprisingly, there are reports of landslides and fallen rocks around the island.

We have plenty of work ahead of us today, including removing the plywood you see in the photo.

We're thankful to be safe, and look forward to resuming normal routines now!

2 comments:

Jesse Mendez said...

Hi I was looking through profiles on blogger and found your blog interesting.

I want to become friends and I am welcoming you to come over and visit my art blog.

take care and hope to see you soon

Stephanie said...

Thank you, Jesse, for your kind comments. Your art is quite interesting, as I found when visiting your blog. Take care, and hope you have a creative week!