20090413

Gamblin Traditional Gesso....What Went Wrong?


I'm not sure about this stuff.

At Mango Studio in Florida last week, I sanded these two panels that I'd coated with metallic silver spray paint last summer. My experiment with the spray paint hadn't worked, so I saved the panels for future use with oil paints. Last week, I managed to remove as much as I could with the electric sander. Then I cleaned them with water and a cloth, leaving them to dry.

A lot of the silver spray paint is still showing. It's possible I didn't sand enough but I can say with assurance that I'd gotten the surface really rough using an electric sander.

I made a mixture of traditional gesso, according to the directions in the box.



This was the result for both panels, if you can tell from these poor-quality photos. (The good camera was already packed for travel.) The gesso chipped and cracked.



I understand this product is too brittle for use on canvas. I'm not sure I want to use it again on panels at all. Maybe I'll sand these by hand and apply regular gesso instead, which has never let me down before, whether on canvas or panel.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with this traditional gesso? If you've used it with success, is there an advantage?

1 comment:

Colleen Patricia Williams said...

It was the silver spray paint. I use this with encaustics. The surface it is applied to needs to be clean of particles like the paint. There is rabbitskin glue in there, and it needs to be able to soak into the substrate. :]
Try it again, but on a completely clean panel. I love the stuff.