20090406

New Works: Infusions 1 and 2

In the midst of attending openings and visiting galleries, alternative spaces and the Miami Art Museum, I've completed two new pieces in the Block Paintings group. I'm in the process of coating them with a protective satin finish.

Both are 10 x 8 x 1.5 inches, acrylic and canvas on panel, front and side views as shown.


Infusions 1






Infusions 2

These Block Paintings may seem less serious and lighter in content than the Monochromes or Shapes. However, the content is really the same for all my work. Infusions is a surf term, referring to the occurrence of two surfers colliding. Metaphorical, perhaps. Without getting too involved with meaning, I believe the viewer may see in these pieces allusions to alone-ness, conflicting ideals and false perceptions. I use such titles as Infusions to establish connections, and to create an opening to further dialogue and thought processes about the work.

The flatness of a single color against another appeals to me. By attaching a 2 x 2 x 1/4 inch single hue canvas to a larger monochromatic plane, I have created a multi-dimensional painting, altering the way it and the supporting wall are perceived in space.

No comments: