20090628

DAWN PATROL

Another panel from The Monochromes group, recently completed:

Dawn Patrol
2009, 16 x 16 x 2 inches, acrylic on panel


I posted about the progress on this painting here and here. Now the sides have been painted silver and I've successfully applied two coats of gloss varnish.

I'll be honest: I do not enjoy applying varnish! There are so many factors involved in getting it right. Studio conditions must be just so: hot but so humid; and windows closed and ceiling fan off to eliminate dust blowing around. Using a high quality brush is very important, as is preventing bubbles. I thin the varnish with 25% water. I have to work quickly. In this environment, the varnish takes ages to cure. But when it's done correctly, the painting is luminous. Success!







1 comment:

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Tincture of time, eh. Patience must be the key. I love the depth.
Best to you on your Mango studio, too!