20090926

NEW WORKS ON PAPER




Two gouache monochromes, 14 x 11 inches, yet to be titled...

I'm enjoying the immediacy and fragility of paper and gouache. These properties are fitting for the concept of this work. I'm accustomed to painting on canvas or panel, which is obviously more durable, but I needed a break from using those supports while my work is in a state of transition. (Notice I didn't say a state of flux- I know where I want to go with this.)

I've found a type of paper- smooth Bristol- that can handle several layers of gouache. I needed a fairly smooth surface instead of a cold-press texture. (By the way, has anyone noticed the difficulty in finding hot-press watercolor paper? I haven't used it since college, and can't seem to find it anymore. I've seen hot-press illustration board online; perhaps it's the same thing.) One thing I appreciate about gouache is that, unlike watercolor, it can be re-hydrated; therefore the surface is re-workable to the extent that I desire.

Additionally, the velvety chalkiness allows for a matte opacity or translucency, depending on the amount of water added.

More to come...I'm also doing some pen illustrations.

2 comments:

lisa said...

Love the subtle color, gradations and quiet soft movement.

Martha Marshall said...

M-m-m-m-m! Love these. And I love gouache.

Great to see you tweeting!