20090919

PLAYING WITH GRAYS

Lately, I've been quite obsessed by gray. I'm particular about this hue, though. It has to be soft and a bit dirty- not a blueish gray at all, but something more milky, even murky. The texture has to be just so.

I'm not back in the studio for a while yet, but I can't just not paint at all. So I've started some gouaches using only grays, black and white. For someone who's been using bright, vibrant color for so long now, it's refreshing to work without it for a while. We'll see where it goes. I'm fairly open at this stage.

5 comments:

Kirsty Hall said...

I like this a lot, Stephanie.

laura o said...

gorgeous!

NicholeCamarillo.com said...

This is gorgeous.

UnoCosa said...

it must be so refreshing and inspiring to work on something that are different from the old approach ... first, i love grays though i am not picky about the shades, 2nd, the painting is really breathtaking ... somewhat mystical with a little heavenly atmosphere!!! As for individualism, i think people actually talk about it a lot ... but, we are simply too overwhelmed by information and it becomes increasingly hard to figure out what we really feel and how to project those feeling through means of self expressions .... xx

Stephanie Clayton said...

thanks, everyone.
UnoCosa, it's actually a photograph here that i enhanced digitally. i'll have some gouache paintings to post soon, though, in grays, of course- my current fascination.