20091105

FLUIDITY #6// the mysterious qualities of gouache

Fluidity #6, 14 x 11 inches, gouache on paper

While applying the first wash, I intentionally left a few spots unpainted. As more thin layers were added, I didn't think the spots would remain so white but as you can see, they have. It's one more reason that I enjoy this medium. There's a mysterious quality in the way thinly-applied gouache reacts with the paper and with previous layers, which I find beautiful. Then there's another variable: one painting will have a different undertone from the next. I am using two "colors", only two tubes of paint: black and white. Yet one painting has a cool blueish cast; another, such as this one, appears much warmer.

Changing topics, I've been wondering about the safest way to store works on paper, and ran across Tim McFarlane's blog post here on how to make archival boxes from acid-free foam board, tape and velcro. I think his idea is excellent and I'm willing to give it a try, once I find the materials. Sometimes the local office supply store stocks foam board but I'm not likely to find the other items on island, so will either order from the Dick Blick website, or check at Office Max next time I'm on St. Thomas. As it's been said, where there's a will, there's a way, right?

No comments: