20091206

ELIZABETH SHEPPELL// color

More new paintings by Elizabeth Sheppell (Photo source, all):

Scratch Series Blaze, 2009, acrylic on panel, 6 x 6


Surface Series Blue Frost, 2009, acrylic on panel, 6 x 6


Veil Series Zoom, 2009, acrylic on panel, 6 x 6

Last week, I featured some of her muted paintings, seen here.

Elizabeth on her recent series:
"This is a new series of work where I explore mark making by cutting back into the work. I am also exploring different tools and methods to find new textures. I am exploring veils of color with underlying layers."

It's enlightening to see how an artist transitions or shifts direction from one series to the next. An installation view of her work from 2008, below:

Elizabeth Sheppell is represented by Sandler Hudson Gallery.

1 comment:

es said...

Stephanie,
Thanks so much for this post. These particular pieces came about this year after learning a new skill. I started making glass beads for a jewelry company. I was inspired by the layering and the look of the smooth glass and also the three dimensional aspect. I have been working on multiple series this year and did stray away from the grid/blocks of color I have done in the past. I wanted to push and find underlying layers and also have a balance between the strong color work and the subtle tones. I think we have that in common in our work--I see a lot of punches of color with texture and also you work in subtle washes. I look forward in keeping in touch!