20091201

The Work of ELIZABETH SHEPPELL

Scratch Series Browns, 2009, acrylic on panel, 6x6


Surface Series Clouded, 2009, acrylic on panel, 6x6


Wheat, 2009, acrylic on paper, 13x10

Photo source, all

Painter Elizabeth Sheppell uses the physicality of paint to express balance, contrast, a sense of quiet, or emotional complexities. Her work is richly textured with multiple layers of paint on paper or panel. I'll feature some of her more colorful works on a later post but for now, I wanted to show these soft neutrals.

It's clear that Elizabeth enjoys using a palette knife- a tool I "discovered" during my first year of art school. A fellow student and BFA candidate was preparing for her show (unfortunately I've forgotten her name), and I asked her how she achieved that expressive texture in her self-portraits. It was the palette knife, or rather many palette knives. I've been a fan of this tool ever since.

Click here for more about Elizabeth Sheppell, and here to visit her blog.

4 comments:

ffocuss said...

I do like these- intriguing.

es said...

Stephanie,
Thank you so much for the very generous post!

The Photodiarist said...

Love the look of the palette knife as opposed to pure brush strokes. Adds great texture.

jens hunger said...

i like it, it´s a remind to anselm kiefer......