20100408

OPENING NIGHT

Photos from my solo exhibit "The Paradise Project: 2007-2009" Opening Night.....
BVI Inside Art Gallery, 145 Main Street, Road Town, Tortola in the British Virgin Islands. (Sculptures are not mine; they're from the previous artist's solo exhibit.)



The turnout on Saturday night was very good, considering there were several events at the same time, such as BVI Spring Regatta- not to mention it was Easter weekend, which is a four-day holiday here, so many people were away traveling.

Posing with gallery owner and artist Carol Vanterpool...

The exhibit runs til May 1. I'll be at the gallery on Saturdays during April, 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. to answer questions and discuss the work.

To read more on The Paradise Project, click here.

6 comments:

autumndiva said...

The paintings are beautiful.

Stephanie Clayton said...

autumndiva-
Thank you. It's rewarding to see these paintings (or, most of them) in one show, one venue.

Ronald said...

I'm not sure if I left this already, however, I must say I love your use of solid color in much of your work. I believe it invovlves the deeper of emotions within, perhaps a bit of hesitation and fear? I wouldn't categorize this into fear that bind, more, the fear that flows into a beautiful breakdown of sorts. This, in turn, can often be a bittersweet release of sorts.

Stephanie Clayton said...

Ronald-
That's very insightful. Painting in monochrome can be quite freeing, as yet it comes with its own particular challenges that are different from, say, painting an image. It's pure color, right there, sort of "in your face". Of course, looks can be deceiving, when upon first glance, you see, say teal green, but gaze longer and subtle nuances in texture and hue become apparent- at least with my work.

Martha Marshall said...

What a fabulous looking show, Stephanie! I love your vibrant color. Hope the show's been a huge success for you.

Stephanie Clayton said...

Thank you, Martha. Having this show has been a great experience. It's also been closure for this body of work, and for my adventure living in "paradise". The timing of the show was very appropriate to my leaving the island soon.