20100708

Miami Art Museum's CARLOS CRUZ-DIEZ: THE EMBODIED EXPERIENCE OF COLOR (part 1 of 3)

I was so enthralled with this interactive exhibit, THE EMBODIED EXPERIENCE OF COLOR, that I experienced it on two separate trips to the Miami Art Museum.
Carlos Cruz-Diez, Duchas de Induccion Cromatica (Showers of Chromatic Induction)
Original installation 1968. Wood and stripes of Plexiglas in red, green and blue.

That's my husband inside the orange stall. I was delighted to discover that picture-taking was allowed.
I took the photo below from inside one of the blue stalls. Note the yellowish strips of light between the Plexiglas stripes (which appear to be clear, or gray-tinted, up close).
From inside the paler blue stalls, one could barely detect the effect on the surroundings. As expected, the red and orange stalls offered the most noticeable effects. Yellow was the most jarring.

From the museum's brochure:
Internationally known as the leading practitioner of kinetic art in the 1950s, Carlos Cruz-Diez began experimenting with color, perception, and sensation during the 1960s and 1970s. His pioneering work during those decades proposed a dematerialization of the art object in favor of immersive environments incorporating the viewer's body, senses, and subjectivity, and changing the audience from passive spectators into active participants.

Along with other artists engaged in experimental practices during those decades, Cruz-Diez sought to establish a new understanding of art's audience. His works in this exhibition can be thought of as completed only by a direct exchange with the viewer. They reject the idea of the autonomous artwork, reasserting the spectator's role as a constitutive part of the aesthetic experience.

The next post will feature photos I took of Chromosaturation, a site-specific installation from this exhibit. So if you're intrigued by light and color, stay tuned.

2 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

Just beyond cool. Wish I could experience it first hand.

At first glance it seems like just a room full of colored plexiglas but your description and photos made me realize the endless possibilities depending on one's vantage point.

Thanks for sharing that!

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Martha-
It was quite an experience. I went in every stall to get the full effect. (Anyone who goes to an art museum with me finds out quickly that I take my time!)
You're right; at first glance it did seem like just pretty colored plexi, but that's the thing w/ interactive installations; it's mostly about the experience, as one moves about and observes...

I felt so lucky that they allowed photos. I didn't even have to ask, was just told "photos are allowed"!