20100722

Miami Art Museum's CARLOS CRUZ-DIEZ: THE EMBODIED EXPERIENCE OF COLOR (part 2 of 3)

Finally I have a chance to write post #2 on this interactive exhibit I saw earlier in summer at Miami Art Museum.
I'd planned to write about Cruz-Diez's Chromosaturation room here, as stated in my first post on The Embodied Experience of Color. However, I'm limited on time, so will save it for the third post, as I have a lot of wonderful photos of Chromosaturation. For now, here's another space I photographed from the exhibit.
Carlos Cruz-Diez, Ambiente Cromo Interferente (Chromo-Interferent Environment)
Original installation 2003. Chromatic projection. Miami Art Museum.

Remaining in this space for longer than a minute or two proved to be overly stimulating- for my eyes, anyway. It was interesting to watch others becoming part of the environment as they moved about the room, which consisted of four walls, floor and ceiling; and two 3-dimensional shapes: a sphere and a cylinder. As one moved, the lines of light appeared to shift.

From the Miami Art Museum brochure:
Ambient Cromointerferencia, 1974, reacts to the movements of the viewer's body, thus underscoring ideas of immateriality and transfiguration.

And described on the museum's website:
(This exhibit is) a changing, three-dimensional chromatic projection environment activated by the physical movement of the spectator/participant.

P.S. Unrelated to the above post: While traveling and moving, I haven't had time for blogging, and often no internet, hence the long delay between posts. During our long period of transition, the days are flying by, and I haven't been able to keep good track of daily events- it's all one big exhausting blur! I'm pleased to report that my husband, pets, and our belongings arrived in Charleston, South Carolina, where we'll be living. We're excited about the big change from a small Caribbean Territory to a charming, historic, and vibrant Southern city.

3 comments:

Ronda Clark said...

I wouldn't have been able to stand there in that space at all. I think it would have made me dizzy!

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Ronda-
It did make me dizzy! Imagine vertical lines moving in opposite directions, according to your movements...

scott davidson said...

A client suggested that I place a "nice painting" rather higher up on the wall of my dental surgery, so that she could see while dental work was being done for her. A good idea, I thought, to distract clients.
My nurse found and ordered this canvas print, http://en.wahooart.com/A55A04/w.nsf/OPRA/BRUE-7Z5Q5K, by Gustav Klimt, by browsing to wahooart.com who made our excellent print from their database of images from western art.