20100814

AQUA ENCORE

I could not resist one more aqua tribute post.

The various hues of blue-green are endless, from robin's egg blue, to the most saturated turquoise (as seen in my painting Abyss 5, below); and there are more complex varieties such as blue-greens softened with a touch of grey (see Jan Sessler's monotype Ascent, last image).

Stephanie Clayton
Abyss 5
2008, 6 x 6 x 2 inches, acrylic on panel

This soothing, refreshing color has touched my spirit, as it has entered my dreams- literally. After leaving my home in the British Virgin Islands, I began to dream about the colors of that crystal clear Caribbean Sea. Now I look for aqua hues everywhere, and find them unexpectedly- painted on the door and shutters of a historic Charleston house, for example.

Elizabeth Sheppell
Costa
2009, 12 x 12 inches, acrylic on panel


Jan Sessler
Voyage
2009, 40 x 40 inches, oil on canvas


Stephanie Clayton
Line Up
2009, 28 x 18 x 1 inch, oil on panel


Elizabeth Sheppell
Blaze (Scratch Series)
2009, 6 x 6 inches, acrylic on panel


Jan Sessler
Ascent
2001, 30 x 22 inches, monotype

Thank you, Jan and Elizabeth, for sending these images. Click here and here for part 1 and 2 of AQUA- A TRIBUTE.

And speaking of historic Charleston houses, as mentioned above, yesterday I took a stroll along The Battery (in 96 degree heat- didn't realize how hot it was til later). There's a shady park and magnificent houses on the waterfront and on side streets. I snapped away with the camera.

I finally have a wonderful studio space, although set-up is taking longer than I'd anticipated. Yes, I am still on sabbatical but not for much longer. In the meantime, I'm fulfilling my creative longings with images (abstracted into elements, of course) of this wonderful new place that I've only begun to explore.

3 comments:

polka dot said...

Oh S, these are all gorgeous. I love that it's a collection by different artists, besides you. Each is a work that I really respond to. You (we?) could be part of a movement - the 'aqua' school. Or, in Chanel nail varnish speak, Vague! Which I've learned translates to 'wave' (among other things).

So glad you're getting settled in with your studio - and that Whiskey's feeling better! WE MUST SPEAK THIS WEEK. Sending xox

cerulean said...

Just discovered this beautiful online show. That´s great.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

polka dot-
The Aqua School...now there's an idea. It would be great to get a brick-and-mortar show together featuring the color in painting, drawing, photography, mixed media. If I was a gallery owner, I'd jump on this idea.

cerulean-
Thank you. I enjoy your collage work on your blog. Glad we've crossed paths in cyberspace!