20100818

NEW STUDIO, NEW BEGINNINGS

My husband and I are all moved in to our new home in Charleston and it feels pretty good to have the big move behind us. It was more difficult than I imagined, in many ways. The past few months are a blur.
The house came with a wonderful room for my studio. It was as if this space was waiting for me, calling me from a small Caribbean island. The studio isn't much to look at now, but I took some photos anyway. As you can see, a lot more is needed. But notice the concrete floor; for an artist's space, how ideal is that? No need to worry about paint or spills! The room is a converted carport or garage, fully air-conditioned and heated, and there's a separate entrance leading to the back yard. The room receives plenty of light all day. I could not be more pleased with this work space.
The room's width is greater than it appears in the photos.
On the floor are two old damaged doors left by previous residents...I was saving them to make a work table but have since decided to toss them. The studio will be a clutter-free zone! A new table arrives next week, which will be used for encaustics and other work. I kept one of my easels, just in case, and that will be arriving at a later time; I don't anticipate needing it for a while.
Work clothes piled in the corner....It's very handy having a studio adjacent to the laundry room.

Whiskey approves. She was allowed in the room only while we were moving in. Cats and art-making don't mix well.

5 comments:

Michele Fraichard said...

Awesome studio Steph, I am so jealous! Let the fun begin...

Pam Farrell said...

I wish you happy painting in your new space!

Jennifer said...

I love all that natural bright light. It's just perfect for an art studio.

Lauren Frances Moore said...

you're here! welcome to charleston! i just returned this past weekend from my summer adventures to find it as sweet (and sweaty) as always. i hope you get settled in nicely and i look forward to running into you... let me know if you ever care to meet for coffee, food, art stalking, etc.

The Photodiarist said...

Awesome!! Congrats on the big move.