20100918

INFLUENCE: TURQUOISE IN ARCHITECTURE


I've left behind the turquoise waters of the Caribbean, but not my passion for this hue. I'm seeing it on historic houses in Charleston and Georgetown, South Carolina. The color seems to "find" me. It speaks of transcendence, paradise...

I've been thinking a lot about influence, inspiration and subject matter. An interest in transcendence and impermanence heavily influences my "post-Paradise Project" work (2009 to present).

What does this have to do with art? Well, I'm still using turquoises in my paintings, juxtaposed with neutrals. And old architecture, as pictured, speaks of time's passage, decay, and renewal: themes which figure into my work.

On that note...I'm finally back in the studio working in encaustic. It's as though I've started my career afresh, finding my voice again, but in a different medium and new environment.

I'll post photos of new paintings after completion; some I'll photograph in progress, as I've often done on this blog.

8 comments:

es said...

Hey Stephanie,
Congrats on your new studio and the next exciting chapter of painting. I'm looking forward in seeing the new pieces. Love the turquoise influences!

polka dot said...

What a beautiful post. I know exactly what you mean. I really feel when I (you - 'one') stumble on that colour.. or pale blue.. it feels like a sign. Of what, I don't know. Maybe just that someone up there is looking after us. Remembering what we like.

Kind of like an omnipresence that sends you a message that says 'I saw this and thought of you.'

As you can tell I'm pretty delirious. It's 11:11 and I've got to do my 'homework' - my daily 2nd post for Next.

Soon as this is over, babe, we are SKYPING!! xxx

Barbie said...

I love the color turquoise. That's part of the reason why I loved the "Deluded Disillusion" painting you did that I now have hanging in my bedroom. I am even looking for a new comforter/bedding set to match the painting. I have all white right now, but am looking to add turquoise. Natori has a bedding set I love with the decorative turquoise pillows and whites and neutrals inspired by the sea.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Belated thanks, all.
Barbie, I like your idea - coordinating one's environment to match the art, rather than the other way around (the concept of "choosing a painting to match the sofa"). I would love to see photos of the space, once you add more turquoise!

Manmeet Sachdev said...

these pics look beautiful!! I love turquoise color..

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Manmeet,
Thank you, I feel the same about turquoise. I never tire of it.

Yth said...

I have a turquoise front door & I love it. These are beautiful pictures! xx

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Yth,
Lucky you. Turquoise is one of the loveliest colors for architectural accents. (And of course in art..)
Thank you for the comment.