20100908

WHITENESS + OLD BRICK

As one does, I often go around with a camera, photographing what informs, inspires or strikes me as noteworthy. From any of these photos, I might use a visual element as an idea, a starting point from which to paint. Recently I've been looking at interesting textures, uneven patterns or shapes, subdued colors, and evidence of time's passage. I found this painted white wall and hallway view to be particularly beautiful.

These images are from father-in-law's Georgetown loft located above an art gallery. How fitting.

2 comments:

Sherman Unkefer said...

Love this because white shows the imperfections and textures that make this brick beautiful.

stephanie clayton said...

Thank you, Sherman. Perhaps that's one reason I'm drawn to the white bricks- they're beautiful in their imperfections. White is very telling; it hides nothing.