20101213

CHARLESTON WINDOW

For many years, I've enjoyed photographing old windows, shutters and doors. I began capturing such images soon after moving to the British Virgin Islands thirteen years ago. From this I developed a series of paintings entitled "Windows" which were semi-abstractions. That's where I began a gradual but complete shift from representational to non-objective work.

I no longer paint old windows, shutters or doors, but I still like to photograph these humble, aged architectural features- such as this window on a historic Charleston house.

3 comments:

Pete Hoge said...

I think we respond to forms
that are constructed or
artificial which are eroded
by time, as well regain the
appearance of ,"natural",
because we are part of the
natural world, and need some
kind of feedback loop through
imagery to remind is of
who we are.

Eventually technology might
banish the, "organic", and
so our basis in nature will
become a vague symbol or
dream in our unconscious.

That is why I enjoy studies
like your photo, because I
am anchored to the natural
world through them.

Its also why I like Philly so
much because there is 300 years
of eroding forms, visible.

Charleston, Savannah and Philly
all have this in common as
you know.

P.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Pete-

I never analyzed why we respond to eroded structures in this way but I feel you are absolutely correct!

These structures are artificial forms affected by the natural world (via sun damage, erosion, etc.) and therefore we connect to their organic-ness.

Thanks for adding your thoughts.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

...and yes, it's why I like Charleston (and New Orleans- any beautiful old city really). It's that eroded quality one sees and feels, the visible effects of time on ones surroundings.