20101231

LOOKING BACK

As another year ends, I remember 2010 as the year of waiting and big changes- in latitude, in the studio, and in life.
My former studio on Tortola- the island my husband and I called home for twelve years, until we left in May. A lot of art was created in that bright space overlooking the Sir Francis Drake Channel.

Over the years, I photographed and collected turquoise images of Caribbean water, such as this one. In 2009 and 2010, I numbered and posted them as a series. These images served to influence and inform my work.

Earlier in 2010, while waiting to move to the US, I declined to buy more art supplies from abroad, only to have to ship everything north. So I made do, creating series of works on paper.



Below, a solo exhibition: THE PARADISE PROJECT: 2007-2009...Final chapter in my Caribbean years. Closure, if you will.
The show was held the month of April at BVI Inside Art Gallery in Road Town.

Then, goodbye, island life...
A view from Ridge Road on Tortola...

On to south Florida for a few months...in transition while waiting to move to Charleston, South Carolina- our final destination in The Big Move.
While in Florida, we saw this exhibit at Miami Art Museum: The Embodied Experience of Color by Carlos Cruz-Diez.

My husband enjoying the exhibit...

Then finally- hello, Charleston!

At last, a new studio!
I was now set up to begin encaustic. New home, new medium, new direction.
First encaustic painting: "Missing"

Getting more in tune with beeswax and pigment...

To close out the year, winter's gift: A solstice lunar eclipse.

Wishing you peace, prosperity and positive changes in 2011!

8 comments:

lisa said...

Enjoyed seeing your transition. Good Luck in your new space and Happy New year

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

lisa-
Much appreciated. It has been quite a year. Happy 2011 to you!

Karen said...

Another awesome post! A great chronicle of a big transition. All the best in the coming year!

R. said...

Aww what a poignant pic of Whiskey looking thru the gate. Who knew sweet kitty would be going 'home' thru the gates so soon. Happy New Year to my fav fashionista friend!

david weir art said...

great post Stephanie
This will be a great year 2011
Keep on pushing your work.

Pete Hoge said...

may we all be excessively
creative this year, and
the next...and the next...
and....

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

R.,
That's actually not Whiskey. I know it looks so much like her! It's probably why I took the photo.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Karen, David and Pete-
Thanks for your encouraging comments, and a very happy 2011 to you all.
Pete- yes, "excessively creative", sign me up for that!