20101208

TOMBSTONE (DETAIL)

Detail of a tombstone from the Circular Congregational Church graveyard....

This graveyard is Charleston's oldest known organized burial ground, circa 1695. Many of the headstones are so time-worn that they're unreadable, cracked or otherwise decayed.
The church itself, founded around 1681, is one of the South's oldest worship congregations still in service.

Since I was small, I've visited countless cemeteries. I cannot explain the appeal but it's a humbling, sobering act to walk through a burial ground and encounter monuments that mark the birth and death of lives long passed from this material world.

3 comments:

Christine Eadie said...

And there are so many to see around Charleston. Magnolia Cemetery is HUGE. If you haven't been, you should check it out.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Christine-
Sounds wonderful. I haven't been to Magnolia yet but I'll put it on my list. Thanks for the tip.

Pete Hoge said...

I have been in Philly for
2 decades and the ancient
spirits of colonial times
seem to haunt us.