20110107

STUDIO LIBRARY*


A glimpse at my little studio library...

I had a small collection of art history books from my art studio/art history days at Tulane which I continued to use as references for teaching. However, I gave them up when we left the British Virgin Islands. The only one remaining is the big blue book here, Gardner's Art Through the Ages.

I remember unpacking books last summer and thinking: "That's all?! Weren't there others?" It was clear, a lot more were left behind than previously thought. I did manage to track one in question, Elysium: A Gathering of Souls by Sandra Russell Clark, as luck would have it, my most treasured book. A friend found it and is holding it for me, bless him. I'd order another but it seems classified as rare now and quite expensive. Plus for sentimental reasons, I really just want my copy of Elysium. Hey, I'm willing to travel back to the islands for that book (okay, I admit, there would have to be other reasons: a few loose ends, e.g., Trade Department owes me money...friends to see...a warm, clear ocean...)

Here's a growing list of specifically art-related books I'm interested in purchasing:
Wabi-Sabi for Artists, Designers, Poets and Philosophers by Leonard Koren
Inside the Studio: Talks with New York Artists edited by Judith Richards
The Artist's Guide: How to Make a Living Doing What You Love by Jackie Battenfield
The 12 Million Dollar Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art by Dan Thompson
Uta Barth by Matthew Higgins
Robert Ryman: Used Paint by Suzanne P. Hudson

If you've read any of these, I'd like to know what you think.

Artists, what books are in your studio library?

*By the way, I'd intended to post an image of that completed olive and turquoise painting (shown here in progress) but I'm having problems with photo quality. The dark, grey weather is not conducive to shooting in natural light. I'll post it soon.

2 comments:

Pete Hoge said...

I graduated art school in
1993 and went on a drink and
drug journey that lasted for
15 years, so any books I had
that were, "art related",
were casualties of the times.

2 years ago I started caring
about visual images again,
and for some reason I don't
want to have a collection of
art related books.

Here in Philadelphia the Free
Library( main branch), has a
real nice dpt so I tell folks,
" I keep all my books at the
library".

haha.

We can also draw upon the
collective unconscious for
knowledge as Kandinsky and
Mondrian publically claimed
to have done.

I don't envy folks who have
to cart around several 100
pounds of art books.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Pete-
I hear you re: being encumbered with loads of art books. I don't like feeling burdened with "stuff", things I don't find continually useful. There are many good reasons to use the library instead.
For the sake of having constant access to certain techniques, inspiration, etc, I do like having my own small library in the studio.
You're fortunate to have access to such a good library- one advantage to living in a large city!