20110216

EVENFALL


Evenfall
2011, 12 x 12 inches, encaustic on panel
 Click here to view the painting in progress. 

Working with blue hues is particularly enjoyable.  I don't consider myself a "blue" person; that is, I'm picky about what blues I like.  Lately, I've been interested in using soothing blues softened with grey or black, such as in Evenfall or MarineAnd there's more blue to come...

I'm taking a short break until the weekend, hence no post this Friday.  I'll be back in action over the weekend and posting on Monday.  As always, I thank you for visiting my online journal, and I greatly appreciate your comments.


6 comments:

Miki Ohno said...

It's surely like that you've shown two different paintings to see the one in progress. Very interesting to know how each simple strokes and tones delicately effected. The previous one evoked a sort of fragility and cuteness, and this time I felt somewhat stability, intelligence and spirit in it. Please excuse me if it was far from your intention but I tend to play in fancy for hours while appreciation.
Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to seeing more blue to come!

Michele Fraichard said...

I liked Miki's comment, I love the metaphorical way the Japanese have of looking at things, and then a very lyrical way of saying it.

I'm enjoying the new blues as well, definitely more serious in a way than the aquas (which I love as well). funny you don't consider yourself a 'blue' person, I see them in your palette often.

Martha Marshall said...

Love the richness! Especially the dark blue surround.

Pete Hoge said...

I always like how you place
forms in space.

The word, "handsome", popped
into my head when I saw this
piece.

Pete Hoge said...

I always like how you place
forms in space.

The word, "handsome", popped
into my head when I saw this
piece.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Miki-
I like the comparison you've made between the unfinished painting and the completion.

Michele-
Yes, I feel the neutral blues are more "serious" in feel than my usual aquas. Maybe I am a "blue" person- definitely an "aqua" person (which is equally blue and green).

Martha-
Thank you. The dark blue surround appears almost velvet to me. I definitely plan to use these blues in future work.

Pete-
Placement of these forms in space is very important to the work I do. So thank you, once again, for your insights. You have a poetic way of seeing.