20110411

found abstract | no. 17 + a new adventure

I'm back in action, after a few weeks' hiatus.  Our relocation from Charleston, South Carolina to the Texas Coastal Bend went smoothly.  My husband and I were able to visit family along the way- North Carolina, Tennessee and Alabama- since we probably won't be in the Southeast for a while.  I never imagined we'd end up in south Texas again.  Yet 20 years later, here we are.  Round 2!  However, I am finding some pleasant surprises. The Art Center of Corpus Christi is one.  I was quite impressed with their venue and caliber of work in the gallery, as well as the obvious support for contemporary and abstract painting.  The staff told me that there's a much-needed revitalization in the works for downtown, thanks to a grant.  I'm very encouraged by the news.  I look forward to the improvements, and perhaps being a part of these positive changes. 

Speaking of changes, my in-house studio is a wonderful workspace.  It's taken two weeks to get it the way I want.  I have plenty of natural light, appropriate ventilation and climate control.  I couldn't be more thrilled to get started on encaustic again!  

Starting with last year's move from the British Virgin Islands to South Carolina (via two months' stay in Florida), and now Texas, it's been a challenging few months- indeed a challenging couple of years, as my studio practice has often taken a backseat to allow for relocation planning and the actual moving process.  Therefore, I'm quite content to stay put for a while.

We didn't want to leave Charleston but sometimes work life throws an unexpected curve.  Life in Charleston is very much a part of our long-range plans, and it will surely be sweeter next time around.  For now, we have other things to accomplish.  Our Texas adventure has begun.

Below, a photo from my last visit to Folly Beach, South Carolina...
It was a very breezy day on the beach and the wind made lovely ripples in the sand.
By the way, I've decided to continue calling these images found drawings for now.   
UPDATE: I've given these images a more appropriate term as of April 2012.  All previously posted found drawings are now found abstracts.


10 comments:

Pete Hoge said...

may as well call them
that because you are in
fact, " finding drawings".

You make Texas sound cool.

I like winter so I will
remain a yankee.

haha.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Pete-

I like winter, too. Or, more appropriately, the concept of winter. I love moderate, southern winters- Charleston was great for that.

It does get surprisingly chilly here, as I recall. 11 degrees F one winter- believe it or not!

I started calling these images "found drawings", based on the description I'd found on another artist's site. His/her name escapes me but I referenced it on my first found drawing post.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

sorry, everyone. photobucket has been experiencing technical issues since yesterday morning.
come on, photobucket...get it together!
anyone else who uses photobucket for your blog, you may want to check it. your images are probably missing, too.

Elizabeth Sheppell said...

I love this one, so beautiful! Hope Texas is treating you well so far!

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Elizabeth-

It is! Thank you. I'm finding a few "silver linings", much to appreciate. I just have to look a bit deeper here than I did in Charleston. ;)
I'm grateful for a great studio space, wonderful home and a coastal environment.

Jessica said...

Dear Stephanie Clayton,

This is a friendly follow-up to our first message to you (May 2010), to warmly invite you again to list your blog on our Expat Women Blog Directory (http://www.expatwomen.com/expatblog/). Blogs like yours are excellent sources of information for relocating expats, so we would love to include it with our other 1,700+ self-listed blogs.

We are also excited to let you know that we just re-launched our main website (http://www.expatwomen.com/), so please drop by and have a look if you are interested.

Many, many thanks and wishing you success abroad!

Jessica Perez for ExpatWomen.com

david weir art said...

Hi Stephanie

new sounds,smells, feelings, all good for the artist in you.Looking forward to your posts

plasticanimal said...

Welcome to Texas! I hope you're getting settled in. I want to see pictures of your studio when you get things under control.

I like Corpus, but I like any of the little funky towns along the coast and I'm sure you'll find lots of great drawings!

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

plasticanimal,
Thank you! I'm starting to get into this place, in a way that I didn't 20 years ago.
I was downtown yesterday and found that "funky" vibe you're talking about. CC has some cool little venues and lots of opportunities for found drawings, for sure. Surprises abound!

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Jessica,
I'm no longer an expat, but I'll check it out when I get time. Thanks for writing.

David,
Yes, new everything- yet familiar, too, since I was here before. Plenty to inspire me!