20110602

ENCAUSTIC MATERIALS

From the studio:  Tools I use for encaustic work...

 

Hake brushes, scrapers, palette knives and tools for carving into the encaustic...
Hake brushes are the best for working in encaustic.  Sometimes I use my regular oil brushes but I prefer these. 
I've been using palette knives to apply paint since my college days when I first began oil painting.  I cannot do without a variety of palette knives!  I used them like brushes.  You can tell which ones get the most use.  I actually do clean these tools sometimes, when necessary.

 This is a tool for rendering various effects.  The tips are changeable for different techniques.  I don't use this tool often, as I find it tricky to control; the heat isn't adjustable.

Encaustic paints- some are homemade from oil paint I have on hand; others were purchased.  I use muffin tins to make new colors.
 Largest griddle I could find at Target..I could actually use a second one but first I need more table space.  For fusing the painting layers once they're applied, I use a Wagner heat gun, which has two settings.  (Not shown here.) 

To drain excess oil from tube paints, I squeeze some onto a paper towel and leave it for a few hours. Less oil in encaustic is actually better for curing purposes, I've found.

Lately I've been making my own encaustic medium: 1 part damar resin crystals to 8 parts beeswax.  Making it from scratch saves money but it's a bit time consuming, so I make as much as I can at one time.

The more I work in this amazing medium, the more beautiful it becomes to me.

No comments: