20111026

THREE PAINTINGS IN PROGRESS

Establishing layers...
Sometimes I like the raw texture before fusing (here, above) as much as the smoother finish after fusing.

 
 Palette-cleansing black and white...
The smaller now has another neutral added.
The larger painting below, in its beginning stages, has a mysterious ghostly appeal.  The white is in fact encaustic gesso and not paint.
My illuminated palette in late afternoon...I'm using a combo of sunlight and incandescent.

Even here in south Texas, the light is getting noticeably lower as the days grow slightly shorter.  In the studio, I've been having to use incandescent light in the afternoon now, despite the relentless sunshine.

On artist Joanne Mattera's Facebook page, she asked friends what they plan to do when incandescent light bulbs are phased out by 2014.  I'm hoarding them!  In our garage is a growing supply of good old-fashioned incandescent bulbs, which I use in the studio.  The light from CFL bulbs is terrible for washing out colors.

10 comments:

Michele Fraichard said...

These are lovely my friend, I especially love the blues. Have you thought about full spectrum lighting?

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Michele,
Thank you! I am not familiar with full spectrum lighting but I'll look into that.

plasticanimal said...

I like the blues and I really like the "ghostly" one. I can't wait to see what develops!

I need to start hoarding incandescent lights too, I don't like how harsh the other lights are and they have that sickly blue hue to them. Boo!

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

plasticanimal,

Sometimes the encaustic layers take on a ghostly, almost ethereal appearance, which is to say they are translucent in a way that I really like. In fact, one reason I enjoy this medium so much is the play of opacity and translucency.

The bulb issue: I don't like cold-hued lighting either. So far, I haven't been impressed with any alternatives except halogen and they're too hot. Working with hot wax in the hot Texas tropics in hot lights- uhh, "no" to halogen.

Michele Fraichard said...

I read that Germany banned fluorescent lighting in its schools, a study found it was depressing the children!

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Michele,
Good for Germany. I find long-term exposure to florescent lighting to be energy-draining, headache-inducing and yes, a bit depressing.
By the way, I have full-spectrum lighting (and one halogen bulb) in my studio now. Thanks for your suggestion about full-spectrum. My lighting situation is much improved!

Barbie said...

Very nice paintings. I love that shade of blue and the "ghostly" painting is very interesting too.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Barbie,
Thanks for your input.
I enjoy working in blues. That one ended up more turquoise at its completion.
The ghostly quality of the black and white painting, completed, is still there.

Texas Electrician License said...

Looking good! I've been reading a lot of issues about CFLs and the danger it may bring. I don't know if I already need to change my bulbs at home. All of my bulbs are CFLs. My contractor who took his Contractor CE said that LED is much better to use.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Texas Electrician License,
I've read about safety issues with CFLs, too. According to the US government and manufacturers of CFL bulbs, those concerns have been addressed and the issues resolved. Not sure we can trust that information, so who knows what long-term problems could result from usage...
I don't know much about LED but it deserves some research...
Thanks for your comment.