20111122

watercolor

Continuing my exploration of watercolor properties in which I layer and combine color...
I've been posting them in reverse chronological order- no reason except it's the order in which they were photographed.  Each painting is 6 x 6 inches.  I use Arches cold press paper and Windsor & Newton Artist's watercolors in tubes.
 There's an obvious spot near the center, mysteriously appearing in the pale purple first layer.  It bothered me while I was painting but it became a good test of my ability to let well enough alone- allowing watercolor to be watercolor.  I wouldn't call it a "happy" accident but I chose to not worry about it.

2 comments:

R. said...

I like the spot...makes one think about the purpose of its appearace and adds to the compostition overall as a focal point.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

R.,
Thanks for your input. The mysterious spot could serve as a focal point; I had not thought of that. (I say mysterious because I don't know what caused it.)