20111125

watercolor | untitled no. 4

A slight shift in application for my developing watercolor series but same direction...
Here, I've applied purple and green hues, then layered them to get a neutral.  With the previous three posted, I only showed one color at the edges instead of two.  You can click on the links to see what I mean.

A personal rule to which I've always adhered, whether painting in oil, acrylic, encaustic, gouache or watercolor: I never directly apply pure color from the tube.  I always mix colors to create my own.

3 comments:

Barbie said...

I like the one color on the edge look. Especially the colors you used for this one.

polka dot said...

LOVE this. Absolutely love it. I want to hang this on my wall.

Kevin bought me a framed print from... oh I am blanking on the artist's name! He's English... oh I can't believe I can't remember his name. But it reminds me of this, but it's concentric squares. But yours is prettier.

It's amazing how such bright colours - and such compatible ones - create such a soft neutral. I can see why you're only posing in neutral dress: you are saving your sophisticated colour sense for your art.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Barbie,
Glad you like it. You're one of my biggest "fans". ;)

polka dot,
Huge thanks. As for the bright colors creating a soft neutral, there's always a concept of how the layering will turn out but in actuality, there's often an element of surprise. This applies to encaustics as well, as I layer translucent colors in all my work. And yes- I prefer using colors for art instead of wardrobe, economizing that way- otherwise for me it becomes too much of a good thing.