20120127

encountering encaustics workshop - part 1


Earlier this month, I attended a two-day workshop taught by artist and author Michelle Belto (above images).
Since 2010, I have been working in encaustic after teaching myself via online research and books.  However, I needed to expand my knowledge of the medium, feeling a desire to return to basics in order to move forward.

Michelle's workshop was very informative and well organized.  She demonstrated ways to use materials I had not tried in my studio practice including transfers, collage, embossing powder, book foil and stencils; and techniques such as imbedding, stamping, drawing and more.  (All paintings here are by Michelle.)

In addition, I discovered an easier, more efficient way to store and ship encaustic paintings using Michelle's method (above photos).

I also felt brave enough to try the propane torch for faster fusing and a glass-like surface.  I won't be retiring my Wagner heat gun but may opt for a torch eventually.

I'll post some paintings I did at the workshop in Part 2, up next.

Michelle Belto's show "Uncommon Elements" is currently on exhibit at Art Center of Corpus Christi.

5 comments:

Michele Fraichard said...

How lucky to find such a workshop in Texas! I noticed on Michelle's web site that she uses handmade paper for her encaustics, are the pieces in the photos on paper?

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Michele,
Michelle Belto makes her own paper, which she then mounts onto acid free foam core; her paintings in the show are done this way.
Her sample pieces seen here are on Encausticbord by Ampersand (wood panels coated with encaustic gesso).
Michelle teaches several workshops, mostly from her studio in San Antonio. She traveled to Corpus Christi for this one. Now I want to take one of her advanced workshops!

Ronda Clark said...

Looking forward to Part 2!

Michele Fraichard said...

Wow, I wouldn't think the paper could stand the heat, can't wait to try it myself. I'd definitely take advantage of a trip to San Antonio for an advanced workshop and a change of scene!

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Ronda, thanks for your comment! Part 2 coming soon...

Michele,
Yes, one would think that (about heat and paper) but the wax is heated to around 200F, so no worries about it burning during application or fusing.
Change of scenery - I could definitely use that. Michelle is also planning a workshop in Rockport, TX, which is much closer.