20120120

studio | watercolor work space

 Working in watercolors - beginning with top photo

- A collection of paint samples serves as color references.

- I don't need a large variety of watercolors because I mix my own colors.  As mentioned on Twitter, I have a tendency to leave the caps off watercolor paints - a habit I developed when painting in oils.  Of course, watercolors dry much quicker, so....I need to be more conscientious while working.

- I own four 2-inch bright synthetic bristle brushes for additive painting and a variety of wood handle foam brushes for subtractive painting.

- I use Arches cold press watercolor paper in natural white, 140 lb, 22 x 30 inches, which I tear into fourths.  

- PRO Artist tape holds the paper in place.  I tear longer strips to make a 6 x 6 inch border in which to paint.

- A cart bought for my (now former) Florida studio serves as a watercolor station.  Admittedly, I could use a much longer space in which to paint.  The encaustic table is large but it's used solely for that purpose.  Additionally, I prefer to work in both media simultaneously, when possible.  

- The squeeze bottle is for water; I initially purchased and used it for chef work, and it somehow survived all these years.  

- By using freezer paper as a mixing palette, clean-up is a cinch. 

5 comments:

Michele Fraichard said...

Looks like a good set up! Years ago, I bought liquid watercolor in dropper bottles - don't know if they even sell them anymore but they are completely translucent and don't dry out like tube colors. Love the celadon and blue combo...looking forward to seeing the results.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Michele,
Liquid watercolor sounds like a fine idea. I do like to control the opacity, however, which of course can be achieved by adding a bit of white.
This set-up has been adequate but I need more surfaces on which to work. "Soon come", as they say in the BVI!
I'll also be working on the celadon and blue/teal combo very soon.

Tosha A.Wallace said...

I am not sure where you're getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic information I was looking for this information for my mission.
Green Bay Packers Door Mat

Shelia P.Rivera said...

Thanks for some other informative site. The place else may I get that type of info written in such an ideal method? I have a mission that I'm simply now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information.
Sorel Women's Tofino CVS Boot

jaket kulit said...

I do enjoy the manner in which you have presented this particular challenge plus it does indeed give me personally some fodder for thought. On the other hand, because of what I have personally seen, I just simply hope when other feedback pile on that individuals stay on issue and in no way start on a soap box involving the news du jour. Still, thank you for this superb piece and whilst I can not necessarily go along with this in totality, I regard the viewpoint.