20120522

dan flavin | the marfa project

One of Dan Flavin's light installations at Chinati Foundation, discretely shot with my husband's phone. Unfortunately, Flavin died in 1996 before the project was completed in 2000.

These two rooms were the first of six converted military barracks housing Flavin's works. Although the photograph doesn't capture both colors of lights well, these appeared pink and green in person. We experienced all of the rooms, U-shaped with light tubes installed at each parallel end and facing each other, to create a barrier. The viewer sees through this barrier on both sides, so that an inverse effect is created for each installation, provided the viewer doesn't skip any rooms.

As I mentioned in a previous post on our Chinati tour, one experiences a strong disconnection between the barracks' interiors and the desert landscape.

2 comments:

Pete Hoge said...

Glad you were able to find some
work by Warren Rohrer.

He might be disappointed in my
lack of interest in working
with paint, but he knew what
was going on my head in terms
of mental health so he would
understand.

His process was meticulous and
from what you have shown of
your own, I think you both are
"in the same alley".

He had tall, custom made lights
in his studio which offered him
an illumination source so that
his colors could be seen "right".

He had a lot of patience with
students like me and it showed
in his work.

I bet he would have liked Marfa.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Pete,

I could use some custom made lights...there's a thought!

I am quite interested in Rohrer's work and the fact that what I saw appeared to be a combination of drawing and painting in oils. Some of his work reminded me of Agnes Martin's...Among Rohrer's images, I recall a subtle grid under a pale blue color field.

All good teachers appreciate the mark they leave on their students. I'd bet Rohrer would have been interested in what you have done since your student days...if he were alive today.

You've got me thinking about process now. While my own process may appear meticulous to the viewer, it doesn't feel that way when I'm involved in making art- perhaps that is because I've been layering color since "day one", and therefore I'm accustomed to it by now. One day I aim to master the technique, whatever that means..

I will continue to look at Rohrer's work. Thank you again.