20120605

malinda beeman | marfa, texas

 
"The Farm", recent works by Malinda Beeman from Greasewood Gallery at Hotel Paisano in Marfa.

In addition to working as an artist, Beeman owns a goat cheese farm with partner Allan McClane. Beeman's intimate portraits of their goats are sensitively rendered, giving the animals a sense of dignity and grace not often see in paintings of farm animals. More information on "The Farm" here.

I'm often drawn to paintings vastly different from my own. I felt an emotional connection with several of these paintings as little faces seemed to stare back in wonder.

 
Beeman and McClane sell their delicious goat cheese at local venues under the name Marfa Maid. Naturally, I had to try it, purchased from The Get Go grocery store. If only this cheese were available outside outside Marfa... Soon, they tell me.

Marfa Studio of Arts founded by Beeman in 2000. 

As an interesting side note, I must mention that I first encountered Malinda Beeman when I was an art student in 1990 at Corpus Christi State University (now Texas A&M Corpus Christi). Beeman's show "Works of Australia" (oil paintings, prints and watercolors) came to the university's Weil Gallery, opening with much anticipation. I managed to save a catalog from the show. I still have it, twenty-two years and many moves later. Now I'm back, living in the same place, by sheer coincidence. And by coincidence I run across Beeman's work again, in tiny Marfa, Texas. Amazing the way things come full circle, isn't it?

2 comments:

Michele Fraichard said...

what a strange and wonderful coincidence Stephanie,the paintings are lovely, and how random is the art and cheese combo? i think you already mentioned this, and i agree, i keep expecting somebody like rod sterling or william shatner to appear in these marfa photos..looks like a wonderfully odd place.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Michele,

Yes, Marfa is one of the oddest and most wonderful places I've encountered. It's right up there with the island of Saba on the scale of strangeness! (As a side note, you would have enjoyed Saba: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saba)

It was interesting to me, seeing how Beeman's work evolved over the years.