20120813

artist statement | revisions

Revised July 2012
 
The primary intention of my work is to open avenues of emotion and thought. I work methodically yet intuitively, guided by dynamic interrelationships, connecting them to experience, place and time. A painting begins with anything of interest; I’ll notice a shape, texture or color, and use it as a starting point for the work. I imagine these impressions in a different context, a created reality, which then becomes the painting itself.

I am concerned with structure, texture, imperfection and, ultimately, the order of things seen and unseen. I make art in a number of ways, shifting between media to investigate the same themes. From these investigations, relationships are created among geometric configurations, color fields and layers. A complex interplay occurs between material, visual recall and contemplation. 

-Stephanie Hoff Clayton

No comments: