20120822

encaustic | encasement

encasement | 10 x 10 inches
After much thought, I decided to switch to a different brand of panel. Pior to encasement, I'd been using Apollon Elephant 1.5" deep cradled panels. I began using them in Charleston (where I first started encaustic) because it was the sole brand sold by the only fine art supply store in town. Now I find the 1.5" cradled sides unnecessarily deep, and the construction isn't quite as crisp as I'd like now.
So I've chosen Encausticbord 7/8" cradled panels and I much prefer them. encasement was painted on  Encausticbord. I have also decided to use a product containing orange oil and beeswax on the cradled sides. It gives a beautiful finish to the wood. No more painting the sides black, which proved to be too time-consuming.



5 comments:

bridgette said...

What is the product that you're using for the sides? I paint mine black too and have been thinking of changing things up.

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Hi Bridgette,
The product is Howard FW0016 Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner, available on Amazon. I'm just getting around to ordering it.

Kristy said...

Very pretty! I can imagine that it would take a lot of time to paint the sides black. It is nice having another option.

elena nuez said...

excellent!

Stephanie Hoff Clayton said...

Kristy,
Yes, good to have options. It was not an easy decision for me, changing from black painted sides because I believe in being consistent - although sometimes a change is needed.

Elena,
Thank you!